Monday, December 20, 2010

Oh, Christmas Tree! Oh, Christmas Tree!

This recipe is straight out of the Rhodes cookbook, page 140.  However, I think my tree looks better than theirs...ahem.   The recipe calls for 8 Texas rolls, thawed, but I believe you should use 10.  I like a tall tree.  Press all the rolls into a ball and then roll it out flat into a rectangle.  Spread with a mixture of 1/3 cup butter, softened, 2 tsp. cinammon and 1/3 cup sugar.  I like to add cardamon and a bit of clove too, but its up to you.

Fold the dough like the start of a paper airplane, two corners down into the middle, leaving one inch uncovered at the bottom.  Cut this off and roll it for the tree trunk. Position at the the base of the triangle.  Cut into each side strips 1-inch wide.  Twist each branch several times and curve upward.  Cover and let rise for 40 minutes.  Bake 15-20 minutes. 

Make icing and drizzle over the warm tree; sprinkle with almonds and maraschino cherries or grapes.  

I love how it turned out!!!!!! Rhodes makes true Christmas comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment