Monday, January 3, 2011

Sunday Morning Banana Blues

Some clever child of mine changed my "Merry Christmas" blocks to say this.. I had to take a picture.

We made it through Christmas!  Since the holidays are over so it is time to stop thinking of Rhodes dough shapes and sculptures for a little while. I really wanted to use up some thawed dough that I had in my fridge without taking too much time.  It was Sunday morning and I looked around my kitchen for something to use.  I came across two bananas that probably would not be eaten even by my children and a bag of dates. I love desert type bread so this got my mind churning.

1) Step one - take out of the fridge an unthawed loaf, 9 Texas rolls, or 12-15 regular rolls, and knead them into one large dough ball.  

Step Two:  Using your fancy Paula Dean Acacia Wood Rolling Pin roll out dough into a flat rectangle or in this case, oval.


Step Three:  Mash two bananas, 1 Tlbs. orange juice, and as many chopped dates as you want into a bowl.  Don't make it too runny.  Get your brown sugar ready.

Step four:  Butter inside of dough lightly, sprinkle with brown sugar, and spread mashed banana mixture on bread, leaving two inches on edges.



Step five:  Pinch two edges together. Realize as mixture is coming out the edge, that maybe one to one and half bananas would probably have been better.

Step six:  Fold ends up and pinch well.

Step seven:  Place upside down in greased loaf pan.

Step eight:  Forget to take pictures of it rising in warm oven.

Step nine:  Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or so.  Keep checking it.  I wish I would have baked it two minutes or so more because the inside lower section was a bit runny.


So pretty.


Step ten:  Beat off the husband and son as you are trying to slice it for dinner.

I couldn't keep them away.  They loved it.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Miss Mel,
    My name is Carrie Whiting and I work for Rhodes Bake-N-Serv. We love your blog and would like to "thank you" for using Rhodes products. Please contact me at www.carriew@rhodesbread.com
    Thank you and Happy baking! Carrie

    ReplyDelete