Saturday, November 20, 2010

LIONHEART!


One of my friends was going through a tough time and her family's last name means "lionheart."  I wanted to remind her of the courage that she already has within her, so I decided to make her a specially designed bread. This design shows you that you can do anything with the Rhodes dough.  It just takes a little patience and creativity.

I started with 12 thawed rolls.  I think 14 would have been better since I needed more "mane."  You'll see.  I needed to thaw them quickly.  I put frozen rolls 6 at a time for one minute and 50 percent power in the microwave.  Longer or hotter would destroy the yeast and they wouldn't rise.

I formed a ball with the dough.
 I tried to think of my design.  I knew I wanted an heart and a lion. 

I flattened the dough and cut away the excess to form an heart. 

The excess.  Isn't it lovely?

 One of the things I'm learning in scultping dough is that there should be a main part of the design that you let rise.  The frou-frou you need to add later and not let it rise.  Otherwise, you get really big parts that you don't want...i.e.  please see Lederhosen in "Variety" post.

Therefore, I decided to let the face of the lion rise.  I cut deep lines for the mouth and eye spaces, not knowing how it would turn out.


After rising pic.  I was nervous for this mouth.  I cut a bit more after rising, but I was worried I had ruined it.


I used the garlic press to create hair.

I placed it all around the head and my 5-year old gave me the idea to use walnuts for the eyes. I added ears as well.  


Before baking...it kind of looks like a stoned hippy from the 70's.


I brushed it with egg because I knew I wanted a golden grown color.  
Egg will create that, butter will not. 

After it came out, I was really happy about the mouth and the golden brown color.  

I brushed it with melted butter while it was warm to keep the dough soft in transport. 

Viola!  Lionheart!

No comments:

Post a Comment